What will you learn from this article?
- Concept of working of CI engine with its application
- Advantages and disadvantages of this engine
CI engine stands for compression ignition engine in which the fuel ignite due to temperature rise inside the cylinder during compression. It does not use any spark plug to ignite the mixture. This engines gives higher efficiency compare to SI engines. These are widely used in automobile industries, diesel electricity generators etc.
This types of engines work on basic of the temperature rises during compression of air. In these engines only air is drawn inside the cylinder through inlet port. This will move piston from TDC to BDC. Now due to cranking or inertia of piston, it starts moving towards TDC and compresses the air. This compression rises the inside temperature of cylinder. Now the fuel is introduce through an injector in fine droplets inside the cylinder. The inside temperature is enough high to ignite the fuel. This will ignite the fuel and starts combustion process. This will generate a high pressure force which is used to move the piston.
Mainly compression ignition engines have two types according to their design.
Application of CI Engine:
- High power two stroke diesel engines (CI Engines) are used in ship population.
- Small diesel engines are used in pump set, compression machinery, air compressor, drilling rigs etc.
- These engines are widely used in automobiles like car, jeep, trucks etc.
- Earthmovers like loader, excavator, paver etc. uses supercharged diesel engines.
- It is used for high power electricity generators.
Advantages and Disadvantages:
- These engines are more efficient compare to SI engines.
- Higher load carrying capability.
- These engines generate high power compare to other engines.
- CI engines are higher in weight.
- These produces more vibration compare to SI engines.
- It creates unpleasant odour in exhaust.
- Higher cost.
Now you should ask yourself these questions.
What is CI Engines?
Why CI engines are heavy in weighted?How CI engines woks?
If you like this article, ask question in comment box, share it on social networks and subscribe our website.