What will you learn after reading this article?
- Concept of Working of SI engine with its application.
- Advantages and Disadvantages of these engines.
SI engine stands for spark ignition engine. Spark ignition engine means any engine in which fuel is ignited by a spark plug or by a predefined ignition source. Many of us have misconception that only petrol engines are SI engines but actually petrol engine is a type of SI engine. There are many other SI engines like gas engines, Hydrogen engines, LPG engines etc.
In this type of engine, a correct amount of fuel air mixture drawn into cylinder where it compressed and a spark plug ignite this compressed mixture. This will starts combustion process which generates a high pressure force which is used to drive piston and crankshaft. This is general working of SI engine.
According to the design, this engine can classified into two types.
- Two stroke SI Engines are used in small vehicles like mopeds and scooters.
- These engines are used for lawn movers.
- These are used in small electricity generating sets and pumping sets.
- Four stroke SI engines are largely used in automobile industries.
- CNG engines are used in buses.
- Radial SI engines are used in small aircraft.
Advantages and Disadvantages:
- These engines have lower cost.
- They generate high rpm at low torque.
- It creates less pollution compare to CI engines.
- These engines are light in weight and required less space.
- SI engines have low efficiency compare to CI engine.
- These engines are not economical at high load.
- Higher fuel consumption.
- Knocking problem.
Now you should ask yourself these questions?
- What is SI Engines?
- Why SI engines are light weighted?
- How SI engines woks?
If you like this article, ask question in comment box, share it on social networks and subscribe our website,